Following the success of our free RCN-accredited courses, Emotional Wellbeing and Understanding Diabetes, we have launched the third module in our new continuing professional development course (CPD) for healthcare professionals - Type 2 Diabetes Remission.
Why create a module on type 2 diabetes remission?
Type 2 diabetes has long been considered, and is still often treated, as a lifelong condition. But research now shows that remission from type 2 is possible for some people.
We want the possibility of type 2 remission to be widely recognised and for people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes to be given timely, evidence-based information and support to explore routes to remission. We want to facilitate conversations between healthcare professionals and people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about remission and ensure these discussions continue throughout an individual’s type 2 journey.
How will it help?
The remission continuous professional development (CPD) module aims to equip you with the knowledge, skills and confidence, to enable you to have conversations about diabetes remission with patients living with type 2 diabetes. From our insight work with healthcare professionals, we know that there is a need for high-quality, evidence-based information and accompanying resources. The course will help you confidently support people to explore whether type 2 remission is right for them and how they might go about it.
We want to create positive change by increasing your:
- knowledge and confidence, to better equip you to talk about diabetes remission with your patients (including how and when to refer people to specialist services).
- understanding remission approaches so that you can take appropriate action from the point of diagnosis and beyond.
Working alongside patients to put their type 2 diabetes into remission is one of the most rewarding parts of my clinical work. This module will offer practical, real-world information about diet and lifestyle behaviours, to help you to begin the conversation in your own practice.
Service Lead for Diabetes Dietetic
What you will learn
By completing the module, you will be able to:
- define diabetes remission and describe the benefits of remission for people living with type 2 diabetes
- reflect on the language used to describe remission and understand why this is important
- understand and reflect on the determinants of weight gain and obesity
- examine the different routes to remission and understand how to support people to put their diabetes into remission, before, during and after remission interventions
- understand the evidence base of remission (inc. DiRECT trial, bariatric surgery, and dietary interventions)
- describe current referral pathways and know how to access local weight management pathways.
Each module should take about 90 minutes to complete, and on completion, you will receive a certificate that you can use for your CPD.
We are keen to understand how this course impacts outcomes, so we will also contact you after you have completed the module with some reflective learning prompts. This will help with your revalidation and help us better understand how the training has impacted on your interactions with people with diabetes.
The Diabetes UK CPD – Remission module for healthcare professionals has been developed by Diabetes UK, kindly supported by a consortium of grants from our partners: Abbott, Lilly, Boehringer Ingelheim and Amarin. These partners have not developed or organised this content.