Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, we have been influencing government to do more to keep people with diabetes out of harm's way.
Since the start of the pandemic, we have been calling on the UK government to ensure that guidance and support for people with diabetes is clear, consistent and specific to the needs of the individual.
Thanks to pressure from various groups, including through our campaigning work, many more people with diabetes at higher risk from coronavirus were added to the shielding list in England before the programme ended in 2021.
As the lockdown has eased we've also been campaigning to ensure diabetes is at the front and centre of the Government’s plans over the coming months and years as healthcare services recover from the disruption of the pandemic. We have been hearing your experiences and demanding that action is taken to develop a recovery plan to support diabetes services in our Diabetes is Serious campaign.
Campaigning about your concerns
Since the start of the pandemic, we’ve called for:
- Clearer advice so people with diabetes are kept safe at work
- People to have access to food and priority deliveries
- Better access to care and support for people with diabetes.
We’ve written to government ministers, attended roundtables, spoken to members of parliaments and assembly members, shared your questions with the key policy decision-makers around the UK, contacted supermarkets and worked with other charities to raise awareness of the issues you face both with governments and through the media.
What we're doing today
- Given the current rising infection rates and further potential for more transmission during the colder months we wrote to the Joint Committee on Vaccinations and Immunisations (JCVI) asking them to clarify that people with diabetes will be offered a booster vaccination for the autumn and winter period
- We welcome the recommendation that all people with diabetes aged 5 and over in the UK will be offered a booster vaccination in the next phase of the programme to maintain a high level of protection against Covid-19.